Monday, 9 May 2011

A skirt for dancing

When I saw this ladies' (UK) size 8 cotton skirt in a charity shop last week, I knew it had to come home with me.

This might have been my most satisfying sewing project ever! I just chopped out the side zip, cut a couple of inches off the width to neaten it up, sewed a new side seam and then turned the top outward to form a channel for some elastic. Voila! A dancing skirt for El.

I added a drawstring at the waist just for extra security when those dance moves get too erratic.

Didn't get a photo of her dancing in it, of course, just this face when I asked her:

But it proved good enough for exploring, and sulking in too.

Incidentally the first photo above was taken on a hilltop near us, at a beacon tower (the type where fires were lit in Elizabethan times to signal the invasion of the Spanish Armada). It has the coolest old graffiti.

Just look at those fonts! I suppose if you go to the trouble of taking a hammer and chisel up a hill, you're more likely to take a bit of time and care with your lettering.


Erika said...

Hello, Anne! We think your crafty blog is great, and we want to share it with other sewers and quilters by featuring a link on! We'll be featuring you as a "Favorite Blog" find all next week. Please let me know if you have any questions about being featured at Thanks so much! Erika

Anne said...

Oh wow, that's great! Thanks so much Erika!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...